Wednesday 4 January 2017

I Always Cry At Endings: 2016 and Belle & Sebastian 

"I could kill you sure but I could only make you cry with these words" - "Get Me Away From Here I'm Dying" 

"Write about love
It could be in any tense 
But it must make sense"
- "Write About Love"

Belle & Sebastian have experienced a truly beautiful, and poetic career. Their music is like the lace on a party dress. The dress is beautiful but it is the lace we notice - the poetry that encases what we had previously assumed to be mundane. This Scottish band embellishes the form that our individual worlds take, and punctuate with songs about love, religion, apathy, and some of the most beautiful irreverence imaginable. 

During University semesters, I come to rely and submerge myself in the music of Belle & Sebastian. I come to imagine myself as a delicate bird floating between the harsh notes sent my way by my ill brain, or via school stress. 

In lieu of a record review, I would much rather have provided this emotional piece. To dissect these albums would be to strip a certain life and refuge from them (not to mention I have about twenty Belle & Sebastian albums to catch up on.) 



All I know is that it is important to write what you feel. Passion is important. It's the dress behind the lace. Getting out of practice with your passion (as I have done with both writing, and music) leads to a sort of disconnection between your mind, and what you really want to do. 

My point then, is to find your Belle & Sebastian (I highly recommend them). Find those voices that can travel with your dives, and your stunning revivals. Find words that echo your own - filling a chamber with divinity, and art.  

I remember a truly wonderful walk that involved only me, Belle & Sebastian, and some friendly neighborhood cats. This is a world I strive to create, and recreate. Proactively for my mental health, and retroactively if I simply forget in the hustle and bustle of everyday life. 

I truly believe that music is one of many forms that can capture humanity - creating snapshots of who we are at one time, in one era, influence by all the messy media of life. In reveling in the anecdotes of the clever, and musically-talented, we may learn about their struggles, and their triumphs. Their art becoming a mirror for their life (as Oscar Wilde would prompt). Belle & Sebastian have captured a somber genius with wit that radiates like the sun's rays on the cat-filled walks of our lives, and though I cannot articulate extensively the joy their albums bring to my heart, I can take a bit of time out of my day to write a short little piece on their meaning. 

We make meaning. Whether it's short or album-sized. We can wrap the world in our lace, being dresses in residence. We have lost so many beautiful artistic souls this past year, that we cannot let their legacy contain a vacuum. You can create new worlds. You can write about love, space, sex, movies, heart-ache, laments, illnesses, plagues. We can come together, and listen to those voices that urge us on - that bring us to tears with their vitality, and brilliance - and we can become the voices we always needed. 

- K. MacFarlane



3 comments:

  1. I am Shelley from Los Angeles,California, I want to testify on how i got cured from tinnitus, I have suffered from ringing ears since the year 2011 with so mush pain,that i have to spend so mush money getting pain relief in the hospital, and I have visited several doctor ,but all to no avail, my world was gradually coming to an end because of the buzzing sound in my right ears, until i saw a post in a health forum about a herbal Dr Williams who use herbal portion in curing people from different kind of diseases including tinnitus, at first i doubted if it we be able to cure me, but i decided to give it a try, when i contacted this herbal doctor via his email, he prepared a herbal portion and sent it to me via courier service, when i received this herbal medicine, he gave me step by step instructions on how to apply it, when i applied it as instructed, i was completely free from tinnitus just for 1 months of usage,i we recommend this to all my friend family in the world today who still suffering from tinnitus you can contact him through his email on drwilliams098675@gmail.com for help.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ALL THANKS TO DR WILLIAMS WITH HIS HERBAL PORTION I WAS COMPLETELY CURED FROM A TERRIBLE TINNITUS.
    How can I ever stop thanking Dr William for the great deed he have done for me, i got an accident when I was 27 years old, from that day on i started experience ringing ear (tinnitus) i have taken all the western drugs prescribe by various doctor but to no avail . my tinnitus was very loud in the afternoon and I sleep less at night because of this problem i stop my work, few days later i was going through the Internet and I saw a post of so many people testifying about Dr William herbal remedies on how they was being cure for over many years suffering from tinnitus the story Really motivated me that I have to speak with my husband about it, and he said i should give him a try, i contacted Dr William and explain all i have be facing in my life. He assured me that everything is going to be fine if only I can get his herbal portion, i said yes and I requested for it, few days later the herb was sent to me in Kuwait,i started using it as instructed by Dr William for me to take it for 21 Days which I did, can you imagine after talking Dr William herbal medicine for just two weeks i started experience results, it was like a miracle,and now i am permanently cure from this terrible tinnitus, i promise that am going to publish his herb on thing my last breath for the great deed he have done for me. For those with similar ear problem should please contact him on his email address drwilliams098675@gmail his a good man and am proud of him.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dr Williams,his medicine was extremely helpful to me. I have had tinnitus for 7 years now , and my doctor told me to have a tinnitus sugary . I am so glad I have found Dr Williams medicine (as I was surfing the net for a solution and saw a recommendation for it on a women's health forum early this year). I have felt so empowered by the knowledge you have given me and I quickly self diagnosed the individual cause of my tinnitus and armed with your clear instructions, I was finally able to beat this monster, in less than 4 weeks of using dr Williams medication. 9 weeks before the tinnitus surgery was due, I asked for a scan and it was clear that my tinnitus were gone,you can also email him on drwilliams098675@gmail.com for help.

    Thank you, thank you , thank you. dr williams "

    ReplyDelete